Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Madison on Memorial Day


As a last minute decision this weekend, Lee and I decided to head to Madison, Indiana for a couple of days. I have wanted to go to Madison for quite some time, but Lee had been there before several years ago. It is a quaint little town. Above is a panoramic picture we took with our digital camera of the Ohio River from the Madison Riverfront.

As you can see, Madison sits on the Ohio River, much like Evansville, where I spent 4 1/2 years of my life. Madison has the Regatta whereas Evansville has Thunder on the Ohio, both are hydroplane races over July 4th weekend. Evansville's Riverfront has recently been redone and is absolutely beautiful. Madison's Riverfront is very nice, but it is not quite as long. Madison sits up on a hill. Evansville tends to be fairly flat. Although Evansville does hold a special place in my heart, Madison is quite a charming town.

While in Madison we walked Main Street and the downtown area which has antique shops, historic mansions, and lots of history. We walked into a few antique shops but didn't purchase anything. We did take many pictures though. We also drove to Hanover College, which is quite a bit different than I imagined. It has a private drive curving through the woods, and it sits on a bluff overlooking the Ohio River. On Sunday night, we just sat by the river and enjoyed the scenery.

On Monday, Lee and I also visited Clifty Falls State Park. We walked to three of the four waterfalls. The lookout points and waterfalls themselves hold amazing natural beauty. All in all, it was a very good trip.

When we got back to Bloomington, we also celebrated Memorial Day by visiting Lee's grandpa's grave. This was only the second time since we have been together that we visited it. On Memorial Day, it only seemed fitting. Lee also drove me around Lake Monroe. We haven't spent a lot of time there, so he showed me around a bit.

We thought we would take some time to enjoy this long weekend. By July 4th, we should be homeowners, and the work on the house will begin. Before we know it, summer will be over, and I will be back in school. This summer is going to fly by! We hope everyone has a healthy and safe summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Madison. I used to ride my motorcycle through there on my way between Lexington and Bloomington. It made for a longer trip, but it was a much more pleasant trip visually.

Next time you go, keep following the highway into Kentucky until you intersect with the Interstate. There at that interchange, there is (or used to be) a huge, professionally made sign on a pole in front of a restaurant. It read:

Burgers and Shaks.

Only in Kentucky.