Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Cultural Side of Us



Yes, we do have a cultural side as well. I know this may seem like an odd topic to bring up, but we have recently been discussing musicals to see during the 2006-07 IU Auditorium season. We have seen many productions there including Cats, Stomp, Rent, Smokey Joe's Cafe, Les Miserables, and Mamma Mia. But this upcoming season is not particularly "tickling our fancy". However, we are planning on heading to Chicago this fall for a 3 or 4 day weekend getaway. During that time, we hope to see Wicked - the musical about the witches of Oz before Dorothy dropped in.

We also enjoy art - to a very certain extent. For instance, Lee loves Van Gogh. He began liking Van Gogh back in the mid-1990s. At that time, he didn't know that Van Gogh was believed to be epileptic. But now that makes him enjoy his work that much more since Lee also has epilepsy. Lee's favorite painting is Starry Night which is pictured above. When he began his administrative job at Baxter, I bought him several Van Gogh paintings which he has at his desk.

I, on the other hand, love Seurat. I have been interested in pointalism since I was much younger in art class, although I never had an artistic bone in my body. My all-time favorite painting is Seurat's A Sunday on La Grande Jatte which is the first picture in the blog. Yes, you may say, "That is the painting in Ferris Bueller's Day Off." And, yes, it is. However, this painting lives at the Art Institute of Chicago, which is where they visited in the movie. I first saw it live and in person when I was on a junior high school trip. Never before had a painting had that effect on me. If you've ever been to the institute, you know what I am talking about. The painting is in a huge room on a very large wall. It is much bigger than you would expect. The moment I saw it, I was amazed. I hope to take Lee there when we visit Chicago. Although I have been to Chicago several times, Lee has never been to visit - only to drive through.

Since my sister also works at the Indiana Repertory Theater in Indianapolis, we also tend to see a play now and again. We've seen several plays including The Red Badge of Courage and the Tale of the Allergist's Wife.

Well, that about covers our cultural side. It is a side I am so grateful my husband has. Few men will go to see musicals, plays, and art, so I consider myself lucky.

I hope you all have a good Memorial Day Weekend! Enjoy the time off of work!

No comments: