Monday, July 28, 2008

My Sister's Closet

Nearly two years ago, I became interested in a non-profit organization here in Bloomington. My Sister's Closet is an agency that helps low-income women with regards to business attire in order to obtain a job. Through a voucher system they provide interview attire and then business clothing once the women get a job. Also, anyone can purchase clothing at their retail store. It is a wonderful organization.

So, in the late-summer/early-fall of 2006, I became a board member as the Event Coordinator. Around that same time, Lee lost his job at Baxter. I was working full-time, working a second part-time job, and going to school part-time. It was a very stressful and low point in my life. In order to stay "sane", I gave up my position on the board.

Just recently, I graduated and found myself with a lot of free time. I have started up my hobby of counted cross stitching, and I recontacted My Sister's Closet. This past year I had been in contact with several of the board members. I created a MySpace page for the agency, and Lee had been doing work on their website. Last week, I became an officer of the organization. I am now the Secretary, and I keep the minutes of the meeting along with any written correspondence with constituents, clients, and other agencies. I couldn't be happier!

My father and mother were once very involved in my hometown community through various organizations when they were younger, and I looked to that for an example. In addition, my best friends are involved with the humane society and library respectively in their local communities. I am glad that I am finally able to give something back to my community. It is such an important part of who we are as human beings, and it is very important to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're happy about "re-joining" them. Hopefully we will serve them for many years to come.