Monday, October 29, 2007

Yes, I'm German

My husband makes fun of me (in a good way) about my heritage all of the time. I was born and raised in southern Indiana, where many of the residents have German Catholic ancestry. I am not much different. I do have other blood running through my veins, but my primary heritage is German. You can see the German stubbornness and hot-headedness within me and certain members of my family. It is hard to deny where we came from, although I try to fight it often.

Being German is such a prevalent and proud heritage where my hometown is, that it is hard to get away from it. When I was in high school, you could choose from two foreign languages to learn - Spanish and German! Now, outside of Dubois County, I don't think there is much calling for the knowledge of the German language in the U.S., but who knows!

In Jasper, a neighboring town and the county seat, the German heritage is even more visible. Each year, Jasper holds the Strassenfest (street fest), where the Germanness of the area shouts out. German flags are seen everywhere and people dress in German attire. It is quite a sight.

Jasper also has one of the few German restaurants (pictured above) I have seen in Indiana - The Schnitzelbank (carving bench). It has been in business since 1961 and is well-known for its German and American cuisine. It prides itself on serving food such as Wiener Schnitzel, Goulash, Spatzle, Kassler Rippchen, German Fries, etc. I have only been there a few times. However, this weekend we celebrated my hubby's birthday, and his gift was a trip to The Schnitzelbank.

Although Lee may make fun of my heritage, he truly loves the German girl he married and where she comes from. We have always talked about going to the restaurant, but it is quite pricey, and we never have time to stop when in town. So this weekend we made a special trip just to eat at the Schnitzelbank. Yummy! My husband had the Wurst platter - Bratwurst, Knackwurst, and Bockwurst with German fries. He loved it! I am not a fan of German food - go figure. I had the Channel Catfish Fiddlers platter. Never in my life have I seen catfish this huge. My word! But, they were yummy!

So, if you are ever in Jasper, Indiana and want to try some good authentic German food, I suggest The Schnitzelbank - well worth the money you will spend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all da germans honey, but I love you most of all :)

Anonymous said...

My belly hurt just reading this! ;-)