Friday, June 24, 2011

The Healing Begins

I can remember the day I got Oreo like it was yesterday. It was 2001. I was fresh out of college, had my first apartment, and had no intention of getting a new kitty. My Furby had just spent the last 2 years living with my parents because I couldn’t have him in my previous apartment. I had him back around a month before this fateful day.

My then-boyfriend and I went into PetSmart, and low and behold there were kitties. There are always kitties at PetSmart because many humane societies use it as a vehicle to display their cats. One black and white 10-month old cat had spunk and kept playing with Matt’s finger through the cage. He was a troublemaker but adorable!

We left PetSmart and began talking about getting this mischievous cat. As I said, that was never my intention. After talking about it and calling my sister to see if she could take him if it didn’t work out with Furby, we headed back to PetSmart. The humane society had already caged up their animals to take them back to the shelter. They refused to let us adopt him then, but they said we could follow them back to their location, and so we did.

“Roger” was known as “The Intimidator” at the humane society. He would go up to other cats’ cages and antagonize them. He was beautiful and loving and sweet, but he was certainly the troublemaker of the bunch. That made him that much more endearing. “Roger” got a new home that day, and he became “Oreo”. Not only was he black and white, but if you flipped him on his back, he had a white stripe of fur running down his belly – just like an Oreo cookie.

From then Oreo was a member of my family. Furby had issues with him at first, but they soon became the best of friends and brothers. For better or worse, through two moves, a marriage, a stepdaughter, a daughter, a female kitty, and a bunny, they have been “my boys” and the furry loves of my life.

Oreo was always so patient, loving, and kind. When Taylor was little she would dress him up in her Build-A-Bear clothes and put ponytails on his tail. He just laid there as though nothing was going on. He had a heart as big as the ocean and was truly the best kitty!

Last Saturday, Oreo’s fight with kidney failure came to an end. My heart broke into a million pieces as we had to put him down. We buried him under the dogwood tree in our front yard, and we plan to make that a “nice” area with a bench or swing and flowers. A picture of him is now in our house so he can watch over us, and we can have his presence in our lives.

I miss you, buddy. You were a great kitty, and I will love you forever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Oreo was lucky to have such a caring family, and I'm sure you felt lucky to have him.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Oreo was lucky to have such a caring family!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France